Monday, March 14, 2011

Barbosa joins Level 5

News & Media - Lola News

Tuesday 8th March 2011

Daytona 24 Hours winner and experienced sports car racer, Joao Barbosa has joined the Level 5 Motorsports squad for the 2011 campaign. Barbosa, who is 36 this Friday was at the Lola factory recently and www.lola-group.com caught up with the amiable Portuguese to talk about the forthcoming season.

Joao I don’t think you have driven a Lola, certainly not a sports car before, but it’s great to see you here at the factory. You must be very excited about the forthcoming season with the Level 5 Lola-HPD’s?


JB: “Yes, it’s a great opportunity and first of all it’s great to see the facilities here at Lola. They are very impressive. The Level 5 crew have put the cars together here with the Lola guys, so it’s a great effort from them and I can’t wait until Sebring in two weeks time.”

You’re a recent Daytona 24 Hours winner but you have not driven a prototype for a couple of years now. How much are you looking forward to getting back in an LMP car?


JB: “My last job in an LMP car was actually Le Mans a couple of years ago with the Pescarolo-Judd. Of course I am looking forward to getting back in a prototype car. I think the goals will have to be considerable because it’s a great team and the car has everything it needs to be for a top running car, so I think we should be in good shape to challenge for victories in every race we enter. We have to set our aspirations high to keep pushing everybody and to achieve those goals. But for sure it will not be easy as we will only run the car at Sebring the week before the race.”

And your personal programme? Obviously there are a number of cars that Level 5 have purchased from Lola but do you know what configuration of driver setup you will work with in 2011? With Luis, Scott or with Christophe?


JB: “I’m not really sure about that yet. So, I think the team is ready to put all the pieces of the puzzle together and then we will know. I just arrived today to make a seat so I am as comfortable as possible in the car for Sebring. I am sure we will know very shortly who will drive which car and in which series this season.”

After seeing the Le Mans 24 hours entry list a couple of weeks ago it looks very strong in LMP2 with the Strakka, RML and Oak entries?


JB: “Yes, it’s going to be a great year for the LMP2 series, I am sure. The HPD power last year was the strongest engine in this class and with all the development HPD has been doing with the engine I’m really sure we are going to have a powerplant that’s going to make us fast enough to go for wins. The Lola, as everybody knows is one of the best chassis out there, so I think it’s a terrific combination.

And finally, what is it about this neighbourhood – you were with Martin Shaw for many years down the road in St Ives and now you are here in Huntingdon? You must like this Eastern part of the UK?


Actually I was just visiting my old boss, Martin (Short) yesterday! I remember coming to Lola many years ago, but I’m really not sure what year, but it’s just a great operation running here and it’s really impressive. This part of the UK certainly sees a lot of racing action.”


No comments:

Post a Comment