Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Lola at Le Mans, Scott Tucker The vision behind Level 5

8th June 2011

 

Scott Tucker is certainly a man on a mission. He has reflected this in his team - Level 5 Motorsports and Le Mans this weekend is the biggest of his and his teams career to date. A massively enthusiastic racer, Tucker only started racing in 2006 but has swept through the ranks to make his second appearance at Le Mans this weekend in his Lola LMP2 Coupe.

 Here the Missouri born businessman and driver talks to Lola about his vision and ethos which runs deep through his immensely organised race team.

 What attracted the team to Lola?

 ST: Lola is such a famous and historic chassis maker. When we looked at the options going into the LMP2 series, there was nobody even close to them. They are the benchmark -- they are the best. That wasn't even a tough decision for us.

 What did you learn in your debut at Le Mans last year?

 ST: Any big race like that, it is good to get one under your belt just to understand the flow of the series, the flow of the event. So it was very good for me. I am much more comfortable this year, more familiar with the track. It was very beneficial for me.

 What is your racing philosophy?

 ST: Our racing philosophy is that we want to be the best that we can be. That doesn't mean you are always going to win, but we want to know that from a team perspective we are the most efficient and that we are using our resources the best that we can.

 What have been the most important technical aspects of the Lola LMP2 car?

 ST: Technically, it is our biggest program. We have a full time program. It is very similar to how an F1 team runs. We have the car set up before we get to the track. To really be competitive, that is what you need.

 How would you celebrate a class win at Le Mans?

 ST: I have no idea. I would be happy to improvise when that happens.

 Who is your racing hero?

 ST: Christophe Bouchut! I started racing at an old age compared to most of the contemporaries and peers in the business. I knew about the cars but I really didn't really know a lot about the drivers. So, this is all still kind of new to me. I am starting to understand the history of the racing drivers now. Jackie Stewart is obviously one of my favourites, but I am still learning about him and I think there are probably other drivers that will impress me as much or more.

 How has Christophe (Bouchut) helped you In your career?

 ST: Christophe and I have been racing together since the end of 2007. Amongst his peers he is recognized as one of the best in the world. Not only with experience and some traits that he teaches me and helps me at the track, but more importantly I think its the confidence and will to win -- that is probably his biggest contribution to me so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment